Professor of Mechanical Engineering
School of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, 585 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Ph.D., 2005, Georgia Institute of Technology, Mechanical Engineering
M.S., 2003, Georgia Institute of Technology, Mechanical Engineering
B.Tech., 2000, I.I.T. Guwahati (India), Mechanical Engineering
Associate Professor Purdue University 8/15 – present
Assistant Professor Purdue University 8/12 – 8/15
Assistant Professor Washington State University 8/08 – 8/12
Decision making in engineering design; Secure Co-Design; Mechanism design for systems engineering; Complex networks; Open innovation; Crowdsourcing.
Research Analyst, May 2004 – Aug 2004
Collaborative Product Development Associates (CPDA), New York, USA
Mentor: Donald H. Brown (Managing Partner, Collaborative Product Development Associates)
Software Engineer, July 2000 – June 2001 Interra Information Technologies, Noida, India
Summer Intern, May 1999 – July 1999 Hindustan Lever Limited, Haldia, India
Guest Associate Editor Award (2019), ASME Journal of Mechanical Design (JMD).
Named one of the Most Impactful Faculty Inventors in Fiscal Year 2019 by Purdue Engineering and Office of Technology Commercialization.
Ruth and Joel Spira Award (2018), School of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University.
B.F.S. Schaefer Outstanding Young Faculty Scholar Award (2017-2019), School of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University.
Best paper award at the ASME iDETC conference (2016).
NSF CAREER Award (2010).
Robert E. Fulton SEIKM Best Paper Award at the ASME Computers and Information in Engineering (CIE) conference, 2013.
Reid Miller Outstanding Teaching Faculty Award by the College of Engineering and Architecture (CEA), 2012, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.
Teaching Excellence Award, 2011, School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.
Young Engineer Award, 2010 ASME Computers and Information in Engineering Division.
Robert E. Fulton EIM Best Paper Award at the ASME Computers and Information in Engineering (CIE) conference, 2004.
University Silver Medal, 2000, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Guwahati.
1. McDowell, D. L., Panchal, J. H., Choi, H.-J., Seepersad, C. C., Allen, J. K., and Mistree, F., 2009, Integrated Design of Multiscale, Multifunctional Materials and Products, Elsevier. ISBN: 9781856176620.
2. Wang, S., Bhandari, S., Atallah, M., Panchal, J.H., Ramani, K., 2014, “Secure Collaborations in Engineering System Design,” 2014 ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences (I-DETC) and Computers and Information in Engineering (CIE) Conference, Buffalo, NY, USA, August 17-20, 2014. Paper Number: DETC2014-34978.
3. Sha, Z., Kannan, K.N. and Panchal, J.H., 2015, “Behavioral Experimentation and Game Theory in Engineering Systems Design,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 137, No. 5, 051405. DOI: 10.1115/1.4029767.
4. Panchal J. H., 2015, “Using Crowds in Engineering Design – Towards a Holistic Framework”, International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED 2015), Milan, Italy, July 27-30, 2015.
5. Dachowicz, A., Chaduvula, S.C., Panchal J. H., and Atallah, M., 2016, “Confidentiality Management in Collaborative Design,” ASME 2016 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (IDETC/CIE 2016), Charlotte, NC, USA, August 21-24, 2016. Paper Number: 59222.
6. Chaudhari, A.M., Thekinen, J., Panchal, J.H., 2016, “Using Contests for Engineering Systems Design: A Study Auctions and Fixed Prize Tournaments,” DESIGN 2016, Cavtat, Croatia, May 16-19, 2016, pp. 946-956.
Dr. Jitesh H. Panchal is an Associate Professor in the School of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University. He received his BTech (2000) from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati, and MS (2003) and PhD (2005) in Mechanical Engineering from Georgia Institute of Technology. Dr. Panchal's research interests are in the science of systems engineering with focus on three areas: (i) democratization of design and manufacturing, (ii) decision making in decentralized socio-technical systems, and (iii) integrated products and materials design. He is a co-author of the book titled Integrated Design of Multiscale, Multifunctional Materials and Products. He is a recipient of CAREER award from the National Science Foundation (NSF), Young Engineer Award and two best paper awards from ASME CIE division, and a university silver medal from IIT Guwahati.