Welcome to the Interdisciplinary Masters Program in Information Security, CERIAS and Purdue University. Please see Purdue’s Welcome Packet for helpful information as you begin your studies here.
How to Register for Classes
Follow the requirements on our Masters webpage and our PhD webpage. The links go to courses available during your first semester and for previous semesters (so that you know what has been and may be offered in a subsequent semester). You do not have to choose a host department immediately but you should choose courses that would fit any of your potential graduating departments unless you are certain which department that will be from the outset. Signing up for Area A Core Courses early in your academic career and at their earliest availability will allow time to register for appropriate prerequisites should they be required. Some Area A courses (e.g. TECH 621) are only taught once in 4 semesters or less and must be taken in the only semester they are available. Go to myPurdue and select the courses you want to register for.
- Email your initial faculty advisor (cc email@example.com), with your choices using the INSC Course request form. (Include CRN, Course Number and Course title).
- When your advisor replies approving your choices, you will be sent your pin. Otherwise, ask firstname.lastname@example.org
- You may then register for the classes via myPurdue. Be certain to register for any linked courses (e.g. required labs) if appropriate.
- For CS 52600, 55500, 62600, 65500 or if you get error messages, indicating that an instructor or department permission is required
- Contact the instructor for email permission. Describe your academic background and indicate you are an INSC MS or PhD student so the instructor has some concrete basis for providing the waiver.
- Send the permission, CRN, Course Number and Course title to email@example.com and someone will apply an override.
- If any of your choices are any other CS course, complete the on-line permission form for non-CS students. Indicate that your department is INSC to be given some priority.
- Computer Sciences Course Permissions and their over rides will be granted via email the CS grad office.
- Careful reading of the course description and prerequisite list will help you prevent most errors and alert you to when you need to request permission in advance of registration.
- If the error message is not a pre requisite or instructor permission error, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the error message to obtain the correct override.
Plan of Study and Thesis
One year prior to graduation.
1) Complete a draft of your POS. (You may start this process as a draft in the first semester if you prefer). Please find this link through myPurdue.
Use this guide for filling out the Graduate Plan of Study Generator on the myPurdue website.
|Program||Intrdis Prgm Info Security-MS||INSC-MS|
|Campus||West Lafayette (Main Campus)||PWL|
|Department*||INTRDIS PRGM INFO SECURITY||INSC|
*If you specify the Department field incorrectly, your options for later choices will be incorrect. Do not enter Degree Granting Department here.
|Degree Title||MASTER OF SCIENCE: THESIS||MS|
|Degree Granting Dept (choose one)||TECHNOLOGY, COMMUNICATION, LINGUISTICS, PHILOSOPHY||TECH, COM, LING, PHIL|
|Date Degree Expected||eg. May 2011|
|Research Area||(INSERT YOUR THESIS TITLE)|
Insert courses you have taken and will take to meet your graduating department’s requirements. (This can be changed as required). Pass/No Pass courses may not appear on the plan of study. Although you are required to attend the weekly security seminar, it may not go on your POS. However, it will appear on your transcript.
Comments: List approved substitutions in the comments field. Example:
|CS 59000 Cyber conflict in the 21st century||Substituted for SOC 519000 E-mail - E. Spafford December 20 2017|
2) Select your advisor and topic. Work with your advisor to select the rest of your committee.
- Your advisor or one co-advisor should be a CERIAS faculty member and have their appointment in your graduating department.
- The majority of your committee (comprised of a minimum of 3 faculty) should be from your graduating department.
- Become very familiar with the Graduate school thesis page and the Graduation deadlines
Do refer to the Graduate School’s Policies and Procedures Manual.
If you require further assistance, contact email@example.com, phone 765 494-7825 Graduate Registration Advisor and Plan of Study Co-ordinator